Guitar

gui•tar
noun
a musical instrument that usually has six strings, that you play with your fingers or with a plectrum

I fell in love with guitars when I first saw Guns N' Roses' November Rain video more than 10 years ago.

I didn't even know that I needed an amp to make a sound out of an electric guitar. You see, Slash didn't have one in the video.

Like for all kids, the reality could always be a bit difficult to handle. I learned a hard lesson from Tom Lee's super "nice" sales that I need another grand at least for the amplifier. And I could never dance freely like Slash does, as I will need a cable connected from my guitar to the amp.

I ended up spending all of my teenage extra cash (those left after meals, booze, and smoke) on guitar until I got into university. The first electric guitar I bought was a wine red Gibson Les Paul Studio.

It was a big thing back then. We thought we're spoiled kids.

I practically taught two persons on how to play guitar. I learned from a Christian mathematics teacher in my school, who told me not to listen to the Beatles as they spread false and immoral messages. I found out later it's about the greatness of them.

That teacher told me I would not need him anymore after I had shown him how to bend the strings. That was foreign to Christian music; that's rock (Not sure if Christian Rock bends though).

I refuse to teach any other person how to play guitar. The two buddies I taught are still in my band today. I don't exactly know why I hate teaching others how to play. Maybe I just don't have the patience. And I thought anybody could learn that on their own, like I learned how to bend the strings from reading the notes to the tabs (Yes, there're no Internet, and we had to buy tabs from Tom Lee, a hardcopy tabs book, I mean).

I bought another very nice tobacco sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard from a friend. That's my main guitar now.

I wrote somewhere that, if I died, these two Les Pauls would go to the only two persons who learned from me, who
both became much better players than I am now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment